NEW DELHI: Additional intensifying their agitation, the farmers on Tuesday noticed ‘Pagdi Sambhal Divas’ on the Delhi borders in protest in opposition to the three central farm legal guidelines. The occasion, organised by Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM), was impressed by the ‘Pagdi Sambhal Lehar’ of 1906.
Listed here are the important thing developments of the day:
1. Donning conventional turbans and singing songs of the peasant motion, protesting farmers marked day-long ‘Pagdi Sambhal Divas’. “At the moment additionally, the federal government had handed three anti-farmer legal guidelines in opposition to which the peasant motion began and it was profitable. The unity of the farmers proves that this motion can even achieve success,” an SKM assertion stated, referring to ‘Pagdi Sambhal Lehar of 1906. As soon as turban was satisfaction of the farmer, however the authorities has compelled farmers to make use of turban for hanging, farmer leaders stated, including that the day was noticed to “specific their self-respect”, he stated.
On the Singhu border, cultural programmes have been held, which have been attended by the members of the family of the revolutionary Bhagat Singh, together with his nephew Abhay Sandhu. At Tikri border, a number of farmers, largely from Karnataka and Telangana, arrived to hitch the motion. “The federal government repeatedly rejects this motion by calling it a motion of a specific space, relatively this motion belongs to the farmers throughout the nation,” the SKM assertion stated. ‘Pagdi Sambhal Divas’ was additionally noticed in Nandurbar in Maharashtra, and Bhiwani in Haryana.
2. Social activist Yogendra Yadav stated if ‘mandis’ are closed because of the centre’s new agri-marketing legal guidelines the farmers of Punjab and Haryana might be ruined as the federal government would now not procure their crops. Addressing a ‘Kisan Mahapanchayat’ organised by United Kisan Morcha in Rajasthan’s Sikar district in help of the continued farmers’ agitation in opposition to the farm legal guidelines, Yadav exuded confidence that these laws might be repealed. Farmer chief Rakesh Tikait and former MLA Amra Ram additionally attended the ‘mahapanchayat’. Yadav stated the federal government won’t procure farmers’ crops if ‘mandis’ are closed because of the three agri legal guidelines enacted by the centre. If that occurs, the farmers of Punjab and Haryana might be devastated. He stated 450 farmer organisations have come collectively in opposition to the farm legal guidelines.
3. Jammu and Kashmir lieutenant governor Manoj Sinha known as for replicating the success tales of revolutionary and progressive farmers from throughout the nation within the union territory by transmission of concepts and information sharing. The LG termed the revolutionary farmers as key change-makers in agricultural growth and a motivating pressure for the entire farming group. He urged them to disseminate their technical know-how for additional emulation by farmers to multiply their revenue. Sinha stated the success tales of revolutionary and progressive farmers from throughout the nation ought to be replicated in J&Ok by transmission of concepts and information sharing for remodeling agriculture and allied sectors in addition to for realising the objective of doubling farmers’ revenue. He was talking on the inaugural ceremony of a two-day-long revolutionary farmers’ convention on ‘farmers-led improvements for enhancing farm Revenue’ at SKUAST Jammu, organised to harness first-hand experiences of revolutionary farmers.
4. Refuting opposition cost that abolition of Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) Act has labored in opposition to farmers of Bihar, chief minister Nitish Kumar stated in actual fact the farm reforms have benefitted the cultivators which could possibly be understood from the truth that the state has made highest ever 35.59 lakh metric tonnes (MT) of paddy procurement within the present season. Replying to a debate on the movement of thanks on the Governor’s handle to the joint session of the state legislature on Friday, the chief minister stated the state authorities made elaborate preparations for paddy buy and even prolonged the length of the procurement from the farmers and asserted that no farmer is left from whom paddy must be procured now. Bihar had accomplished away with the APMC Act means again in 2006 and in addition ended the mandi system. Kumar has supported the centre’s three new farm legal guidelines having comparable contents. Dismissing the opposition cost that the over one-and-a-half decade again agriculture reforms in Bihar have labored in opposition to the farmers who’ve been compelled to promote their grain at a a lot lower cost than the MSP, Kumar reeled out figures to rely the virtues of the farm legislations for the state. Kumar stated categorically that the federal government will make no extra paddy procurement within the present season as merchants/ middlemen who had purchased the grain from the cultivators earlier than the procurement course of have been making an attempt to promote it within the identify of farmers and this could not be allowed at any price.
5. 5 farmers from every Uttar Pradesh village will quick for eight hours every day and ship messages to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, searching for withdrawal of the three farm legal guidelines and authorized assure for MSP, Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan (RKMS) president VM Singh stated. The RKMS had withdrawn its help from the continued farmers’ agitation in opposition to the three contentious central legal guidelines following the violence in Delhi on Republic Day. It joined 21 different farmer outfits on Sunday to kind the Uttar Pradesh Kisan Mazdoor Morcha (UPKMM). “5 farmers from every village in Uttar Pradesh will observe a quick from 9 am to five pm. At Three pm, these farmers will report two-minute messages, introducing themselves to Prime Minister Modi and sharing their grievances on the brand new farm legal guidelines, which might be uploaded on our web site,” Singh stated at a press convention right here. “It will proceed until the time farmers from every village get the determined MSP for his or her wheat crop,” he added. Majority of farmers within the nation are small and marginal, they usually can not afford to return to Delhi to hitch the protest, however with this technique, they’ll keep of their villages, are likely to their animals and in addition participate within the agitation, VM Singh stated. There are 65,000 panchayats in Uttar Pradesh, and even when 20,000 villages from amongst them participate within the motion, one lakh messages could be despatched to the prime minister day by day, the farmer chief claimed.
6. The Supreme Courtroom-appointed panel on three new farm legal guidelines held consultations with representatives of the All India Kisan Coordination Committee (AIKCC) to take their views on the legislations that have been enacted in September final yr. The Supreme Courtroom had on January 12 stayed the implementation of the three contentious farm legal guidelines for 2 months and requested the committee to submit a report after consulting the stakeholders. 1000’s of farmers, particularly from Punjab, Haryana and elements of Uttar Pradesh, have been tenting at Delhi’s borders for practically three months now searching for repeal of the brand new legislations and a authorized assure of the minimal help value (MSP) system. “The Supreme Courtroom appointed Committee on lately enacted Farm Acts held its interplay from NASC advanced, Pusa, New Delhi as we speak with the workplace bearers of All lndia Kisan Coordination Committee (AIKCC),” the panel stated in an announcement. The committee members requested the taking part workplace bearers of AIKCC to provide their detailed views on the three legal guidelines – The Farmers’ Produce Commerce and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020, The Farmers (Empowerment and Safety) Settlement on Value Assurance and Farm Providers Act, 2020 and Important Commodities (Modification) Act, 2020. “All of the taking part workplace bearers of All lndia Kisan Coordination Committee gave their detailed views, solutions and submissions on the above talked about three Farm Acts, earlier than the committee,” the assertion stated. The three-member committee is holding consultations with stakeholders each on-line and in particular person. Ashok Gulati, Pramod Joshi and Anil Ghanwat are the members of the panel.
7. In a blow to the Delhi police, a courtroom within the nationwide capital granted bail to local weather activist Disha Ravi, arrested in reference to allegedly being concerned in sharing a “toolkit” on social media associated to the farmers” protest, terming proof produced by police as “scanty and sketchy”. The courtroom stated there may be nothing on report to ascertain any direct hyperlink between Ravi and pro-Khalistan activists of ‘Poetic Justice Basis’ (PJF) and in addition there may be not even an iota of proof connecting the perpetrators of the violence on January 26 with the PJF or her. Additional, it noticed that there’s nothing on report to counsel that the activist subscribed to any secessionist thought and there may be completely no hyperlink established on report between her and banned outfit ‘Sikhs For Justice’. Extra Periods Choose Dharmender Rana, who granted reduction to Ravi on a private bond of Rs one lakh and two sureties of like quantity, famous that the accused had “completely no prison antecedents”. “Contemplating the scanty and sketchy proof obtainable on report, I don’t discover any palpable causes to breach the final rule of ‘ Bail’ in opposition to a 22 years previous younger girl, with completely blemish free prison antecedents and having agency roots within the society, and ship her to jail,” the choose stated.
8. Farmers blocked the Jammu-Pathankot freeway in Jammu for a number of hours in protest in opposition to the arrest of their chief and one other man in reference to the Republic Day violence in Delhi, officers stated. The protesters, largely Sikhs together with the members of the family of the arrested males, blocked the freeway close to Digiana Ashram, alleging that the 2 are being falsely implicated within the case as they’re main the continued farmers’ agitation in Jammu and Kashmir. Nonetheless, they dispersed after senior civil and cops led by a further deputy commissioner visited them and sought a while, the officers stated. Jammu and Kashmir United Kisan Entrance Chairman Mohinder Singh (45), a resident of Chatha space of Jammu metropolis, and Mandeep Singh (23), a resident of Gole Gujral, Jammu, have been arrested by Delhi Police on Monday night time. The Delhi Police stated they have been “energetic contributors” and “key conspirators” within the violence on the historic Crimson Fort in the course of the farmers’ tractor parade on January 26. Nonetheless, the protestors stated they have been “singled out and implicated” within the case as a result of they labored for the welfare of farmers in Jammu and Kashmir.
9. A Delhi courtroom despatched actor-activist Deep Sidhu to judicial custody for 14 days in reference to the Crimson Fort violence on Republic Day throughout farmers’ tractor parade in opposition to the centre’s three new farm legal guidelines. Sidhu was produced earlier than metropolitan Justice of the Peace Samarjeet Kaur on the expiry of his seven-day police custody within the case. The courtroom had earlier despatched Sidhu to police custody after the police alleged he was one of many primary instigators of the violent incidents on the Crimson Fort. Tens of 1000’s of protesting farmers clashed with the police within the nationwide capital on January 26 throughout a tractor parade to focus on their calls for. Lots of them driving tractors reached the Crimson Fort and entered the monument, the place a spiritual flag was additionally hoisted. Over 500 police personnel have been injured and one protestor died.
10. Lakha Sidhana, who is needed in reference to the violence in Delhi on Republic Day, attended a public assembly in Punjab’s Bathinda in help of the continued farmers’ agitation in opposition to the centre’s farm legal guidelines. A video clip confirmed him seated on the dais. The gangster-turned-activist had given a name for the general public assembly in Bathinda’s Mehraj village final week. There was hypothesis whether or not Sidhana would participate within the public assembly as he’s wished by the Delhi Police for his alleged function within the violence that broke out throughout a tractor parade known as by farmer unions on January 26 demanding the repeal of the agri-marketing legal guidelines.
(With company inputs)